Here's something weird I do with sandbag lunges in Hyrox training.
Let me explain.
As i get older, I notice my shoulder and mid-back mobility is decreasing, but my hips are stellar. At 58 I squat ass-to-grass, but struggle with a 115 pound thruster.
I'm using my hip mobility to my advantage to practice high rep sandbag lunges with a bit of extra weight.
Today's Work: For Time
3 Rounds
10 cals Echo Bike
40-30-20 Phone Booth Lunges with 56# sandbag
100 m Farmer's Carry with 53# kettlebells
THEN... 50 cals Echo Bike for time (no rest between last Farmers and bike)
Time: 22:47
What's a Phone Booth Lunge?
Get off the bike, grab the sandbag and hoist it on your shoulders.
Take a lunge forward about a meter.
Complete the lunge, returning to vertical with hips locked out.
Then, step a meter backwards with the knee touching the floor.
Then return to vertical, in the same spot as you originally started.
1 forward and 1 backward is 1 rep.
You know you're doing it right if you're always facing the same direction, you're always going 1 meter forward, return to vertical, then 1 meter back and return to vertical. This is very different than simple alternating lunges. It feels different. You'll notice it almost immediately.
The toughest part of today's workout? Take a guess.
If you said the final 15 cals on the bike, you'd be right. My glutes and hams were blown up from the lunges.
This workout was short, and very gritty.
It was good practice at being uncomfortable. The sandbag is my normal Open weight bag, but someone had stuck an extra 10 pounds in there and I did it by accident.
This week I got some runs in, wallballs, tons of burpees, carries and lunges. Very satisfying week of training.
If the weather permits I'll hit the sleds on Saturday morning. Rainy season has come early because of La Nina here in Mexico.
Stay tuned.

Comments
Post a Comment