The Real Reason Your Early Morning CrossFit Class Starts Late

 The big man approached me nervously.

"Coach, we got a situation. Any chance you could open 10 minutes early tomorrow?"


Tomorrow was my first day coaching the 6 am CrossFit class. The previous coach had been opening at 5:59. He had mentioned that the class always started late. I agreed to the request. The next morning at 5:45 I pulled into the dark, snowy parking lot. There were 3 huge trucks, 2 dark, and I could see 3 massive heads silhouetted in the third. I turned the lock in the huge metal door. 3 huge men nodded at me without a word, each clutching an enormous coffee cup. As I put my gym bag on the front desk they headed to the change rooms. The fella who had asked me to come early was gracious. "Thanks Coach. Don't worry, I'll tackle the spackle". I got everything organized for the class as more members arrived at 5:59. They seemed surprised that the lights were on and the doors were open. After class the 3 men were chatting with me. They met up every morning at 5:15 and drove together to the coffee shop for large double-doubles and bagels. They sat together in the parking lot waiting for the doors to open. There was only 1 toilet. No wonder the class always started late. 3 men on a bagel-centric breakfast were being rushed on their morning ablutions. 10 minutes. I left home a little earlier. That's all it took to change their experience of the class. The goodwill worked both ways. Their clan had a code. The man who went last actually cleaned the toilet afterwards. Somebody has to tackle the spackle.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Playbook: How I Made The Podium In My First Hyrox Race At Age 58

The Simple Nutrition Rule Every Exhausted Mom Needs: Why New Moms Shouldn't Do Rigid Meal Plans

When Someone Pranks the Gym’s Toughest Athlete with One Direction