The woman put her hand over her mouth, and began to cry.
The woman put her hand over her mouth, and began to cry.
I took 2 steps towards her, and then froze. The older woman gave me “the look” and a slight wave of her hand. She put her arm around the sobbing woman.
Let me explain.
It was a quiet Thursday night. I had an intimate group of 5 ladies at my “CrossFit Lite” class.
All 30 and 40-somethings. Lululemon leggings and Rush t-shirts. 2 of them divorced, 1 separated. Mini-vans and SUVS and meals eaten through the window.
Heavy yoke carries were on the menu.
The giant frame weighed 200 pounds. I warmed the ladies up and they took turns walking 10 meters with it. The heavy yoke hurts the neck and traps. It requires pure grit in spite of the discomfort.
The first 2 ladies weebly-wobbled across the floor and grinned breathlessly and high fived their classmates.
The third lady looked nervous. You could see her hands shaking a little as she stood it up. She took tiny erratic steps down the floor.
She dropped the yoke with a huge clang at the 10 meter mark. She extricated herself from the rig, took a huge breath, covered her face with her hands and began to sob.
Susan, the self-appointed mom of the group, sprung into action. She shushed me away and put her arm around her crying classmate.
“What’s the matter Crystal?”
Crystal did the crying talk, where you burst words between sobs.
“He told me I’d never carry my own weight. He always told me I was fat and lazy.”
“I hear you. You just carried 10 pounds more than your weight across an entire gym floor with 5 witnesses. If that prick was here, what would you tell him?”
The question snapped Crystal out of her tears. She looked up at Susan and her face changed in an instant.
“I’d tell him to kiss my ass!”
The other ladies moved in close and everybody started hugging everybody.
I just kept watch from 4 meters away. Susan caught my eye and winked.
My turn.
“Ok ladies, knitting party’s over. Let’s get on the Assault Bikes for 10 minutes of fun!”
Tears were wiped away.
5 smiling faces got onto the bikes.
What price can you put on giving a woman her confidence back?
“Coach Just Tell Me What To Eat!”
She had tears in her eyes. Heather was 42. A mother. A wife. And nearly 70 pounds overweight.

Comments
Post a Comment