When a 63-Year-Old Grandma Destroys a 28-Year-Old Guy in CrossFit
He took a huge hit of his vape and shook his head.
“Tell me the truth. Was it a set up? How did the grandma beat me?”
Kevin and I were standing in the parking lot at 8:19 pm on a Monday night. He was still dripping with sweat after his first CrossFit class.
I shook my head. No tricks. Annie is 63. She demolished 28 year old Kevin in a 15 minute AMRAP of 15 cals rowing, 15 power cleans at 55 pounds, and 15 burpees.
Kevin worked construction. He had quit smoking 9 months ago. Vaping and huge coffees took the place of cigarettes.
He had packed on 12 unwanted pounds in that time. His wife had been coming to class for almost a year and was unrecognizable.
Kevin was fed up with hearing about CrossFit and was convinced she was in a cult. The fact that she was down 3 sizes in a year was confusing the argument. Finally he gave in and agreed to try a free class to show the ladies what time it was.
He could not mentally reconcile what had just happened to him.
I told him to go home, eat a small meal with some meat and vegetables, and if he’s interested, come back on Wednesday.
He gave me the fist bump and drove off into the night.
I was a bit surprised to see Kevin hobble in a few days later. His wife was grinning from ear to ear and winked at me.
He walked directly up to me, and got way too close. He bear-hugged me and hissed in my ear, “You summanabeech! I’m in.”
Within 2 months Annie was chasing Kevin in workouts. Within 8 months Kevin was on his third new pair of pants at work. Everyone at the job sites couldn’t believe what he could physically do.
The happiest moment?
Kevin’s wife gave me a huge hug before class one day. They had been unable to conceive for 4 years. Beaming radiantly, she told me the amazing news.
I have 1 job.
Give people the best hour of their day.
Sometimes magic happens.
“Coach Just Tell Me What To Eat!”
She had tears in her eyes. Heather was 42. A mother. A wife. And nearly 70 pounds overweight.

Comments
Post a Comment